Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Do I Have the Swine Flu (H1N1)?


Yikes! I woke up this past Saturday feeling like I'd been hit by a truck. My throat was sore and I wondered if I managed to swallow a box of sheet rock screws in the middle of the night. No fever initially but then it rose to 101 degrees and stayed that way all day long. Coffee, orange juice, and a toasted English muffin was about all I could stomach. Back to bed.

Kim and I had plans to meet friends for a wine tasting later in the evening and I held out hope of feeling good enough to attend the festivities but........ in the interest of not infecting everyone there I called the host and gracefully bowed out.

October has never been a good month for me. I somehow manage to get sick every October and have for as far back as I can remember. Change of season, bad DNA strands, alignment of the stars? Who knows why this happens. Thank goodness I wasn't still on the Appalachian Trail huh?

My fever broke Monday evening and on Tuesday I ran out and got my annual "seasonal" flu shot. According to the CDC, you can get a flu shot at the same time you have a respiratory illness without fever or if you have another mild illness. Still feels kind of weird getting a shot when you feel light headed and your heads pounding.

Our local H1N1 flu vaccination program is starting off pretty haphazardly since the Mecklenburg County Health Department pre-ordered way too few doses. If they run this program like the Fed's did Cash for Clunkers it will be a big fiasco.

Stay tuned........

No comments: