Sunday, March 28, 2010

Square Foot Garden Update 1


Well, it's been a week since initiating the Square Foot Garden and things are looking great! The radish, broccoli, and lettuce mix seeds have all sprouted! The pak choi is looking good too. How exciting is that? Still no signs of spinach or cauliflower yet. I hope those come up soon. The tomato plants are surviving.


Check Out the Radish Sprouts!


Lot'sa Lettuce


The Pak Choi is Looking Good!

The weekend has been busy. I went by the local home improvement store and picked up some fencing material to keep rabbits out and grabbed a couple varieties of African marigolds they had on sale. The yellow and orange kind looked nice so I got two containers for each box. I sowed more spinach, lettuce mix, beets, and cauliflower seeds just as it began to rain.

I'm toying with the idea of planting some containers of sugar snap peas, cucumbers, zucchini, and eggplant for transplanting later but not sure if it's way too early for that. What's confusing is I'm finding conflicting information about planting dates for my area. So, this will have to be my research project for the week.


Fencing to Keep the Critters Out!

Funny story about the rabbit fencing. I called Kim this week and asked her how the garden was looking. I've been paranoid because the rabbits around her house are so prolific. Well, she said she went out one evening and caught a 40 lb rabbit in the garden! I almost blew a gasket when I heard that and then realized something was up when she started laughing hysterically. Seems like Tucker (a 40 lb sheltie) managed to climb into the raised beds to take a look around. He didn't dig or anything, just stood there. Too funny!


Tucker (AKA- The 40 lb. Rabbit!)

Well I bought a roll of plastic fencing similar in design to metal hardware cloth and cut it about 1.5 foot high then formed it around each raised bed. Not sure how long it will last but it should keep rabbits and sheltie's out of the garden this season.

Note: We had a very bad line of thunder storms roll through this evening which produced high winds, a couple tornado's, and quarter+ size hail. We got over an inch of rain in a short period of time. There was no damage to the garden thank goodness!

That's it for this update...........

No comments: