Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Got Runny Nose? Don't Let It Get You Down!!


Well it hit me. Whatever is going around has hit me like a ton of bricks. I feel like crap and my head is all stopped up. Did a little research on the internet and discovered a lot of doctors are recommending "nasal irrigation" to help rinse the sinuses and relieve the pressure of all the nasty stuff that accumulates in there.

So, I mixed up a pretty simple saline solution:
1/4 teaspoon of salt
1/4 teaspoon of baking soda
into 8 oz. of luke warm water

Applying the solution is tricky. You have to put your face over the sink with your left nostril pointing down and your nose a little higher than your mouth. The saline gets into your right nasal cavity by pouring or using a nasal bulb. The solution drains out your left nostril if done correctly. It was a little cumbersome at first but I finally got the hang of it.

Boy could I tell a difference. I'll continue to drink plenty of water and take my regime of Zinc and multi-vitamins. Why Zinc you ask? Well, Zinc is required for the development and activation of T-lymphocytes, a kind of white blood cell that helps fight infection. That should shorten the time frame of the cold. The vaporizer is helping also!

Later,

No comments: