Sunday, December 11, 2005

Inflatable Santa?


(Yes, that is a large candy cane next to Mr. Snowman.... Why else would he be smiling?)

So,
I'm standing in Wal-Mart buying a can of fake snow and silly putty when it hits me. Have you guys noticed something strange this year? Yep, that's right- Christmas yard decorations keep getting bigger. Just a couple of years ago the average "Griswold" house was considered fully decked out if more that one side of the house had lights hanging all over it. Then came the lighted wire reindeer yard ornaments. This year the popular items are- INFLATABLE SANTAS!!!!!

Good golly, how gawdy can you get? There damn near everywhere you go. I'll bet every neighborhood in Charlotte has at least one idiot family with a gargantuan Santa swaying in the breeze. Talk about scaring kids. Where the hell do you store something like that? No wonder "Pods" and mini warehouses are so popular.

Now, being Italian, my family was never much on holiday yard ornaments. To heck with lights, good Italians focused on food during the month of December. I'll never forget growing up. Without fail, Mama would bake her famous holiday lasagna in the shape of a turkey and Papa would carve it just like a real bird. There was nothing better than inviting guests over and serving them a "leg or wing". They'd always look stunned! How festive!

Anyway back to the discussion on decorations. This year will be the first year in memory that I'm not living in a "house" with a live Christmas tree. Don't worry I'm not sad since I've found a suitable replacement. The fake banana tree in my apartment will soon be transformed into a tropical Yule time masterpiece. A little tinsel should do the trick.

Get the eggnog ready!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's disgusting that you would give Wal-Mart business.

You make me ill.

Marc said...

Where the hell else you gonna shop? I don't live in a commune, have a co-op near me, nor do I grow my own fibers? Any other suggestions cowboy?