Wednesday, February 09, 2011

FaceTime Won't Activate on New Verizon iPhone4 Solution


Well, my saga continues. I am one of the existing Verizon customers who got first shot at getting the new iPhone4 on the Verizon network. The pre-order process went well and the device shipped really quickly. Then the quirks began after I started exploring the phones functionality.

First off was the problem with the VZ Navigator. It wasn't available even though the feature was offered as a billable option during pre-order. Come to find out the application wasn't made ready for distribution at roll out time. Verizon quickly took the charges off my plan after informing me the feature wouldn't really be available until February 10th. Nice try, I'll think I'll pass on this one.

OK, a small bump in the road.

Next came the problem with the FaceTime feature not being able to "activate". I spent most of the day researching the Verizon and Apple support forums and discovered the problem is apparently impacting mostly former Alltel customers like me. So I began calling tech support.


First off-Verizon.
They tried really hard but in the end transferred me to Apple tech support. There I spoke to a nice guy in Las Cruces, NM. We tried nearly everything- a hard start, soft start, recovery mode, pushing every button on the damn phone- nothing!

Then I got sent over to talk with an Apple Senior Adviser. He was nice but really only was able to make me an appointment at my local Apple Store Genius Bar.

At the Apple Store- I spoke to a young kid Genius named Pedro who quickly informed me he had already seen a couple of similar cases. Pedro said the problem stemmed from the fact that former Alltel customers (now absorbed by Verizon) cellular plans did not allow the device to attach to the existing cell towers correctly and I would need to contact Verizon to have them switch me to an official Verizon Wireless plan to resolve the issue. Pedro offered to walk with me to the Verizon store in the mall but it had moved across the street. Drats, I have to go on my own.

At the Verizon Store- I explained my problem to a fellow there who gave me that "deer in the headlights" look and was no help at all. I was not happy and left.

Back at home- I decided to call Verizon Tech Support from home and ended up speaking with a wonderful girl who actually listened to and understood my dilemma. She researched the problem on her end and confirmed the issue was due to my former Alltel status in their system. She offered me an array of options regarding similar cellular plans and took the time to help me make the best choice on a swap.

Once the switch was made the FaceTime activation problem was solved!


If you're in a similar situation you'll notice only "3G" appears on the device title bar next to the signal bar icon in the upper left corner of the screen. It actually should say "Verizon".

You may need to sync your device through iTunes and even perform a *228 then press number 1 to program your phone in order for the changes to take place.

Remember you must be on a wi-fi network for FaceTime to work.

Cheers!

No comments: